We’re proud to support so many customers who represent such a broad spectrum of manufacturers, government, military, commercial, and institutional entities. Our success is based upon our team’s dedication to supplying quality products, produced with a never-ending focus on quality and supported by excellent customer service. This year, we’re celebrating our 50th anniversary with a look back. Join us as we celebrate half a century of innovation and growth.
A Timeline of our Landmarks and Achievements
Porta-King has deep roots in the St. Louis area. Even before Jay Henges founded Henges Interiors and Porta-King Building Systems in 1969, his father had provided quality construction to the community for 30-some years.
As you’ll see, we rarely sit still at Porta-King. Over the past 50 years, we’ve changed product lines, expanded facilities, and introduced brand-new patented systems. Just take a look at everything we have to celebrate:
- Initial product production in 1969 was dedicated entirely to the “Parking” line of prefabricated exterior buildings. The structures were primarily used in the parking and petroleum industries.
- Porta-King’s President and CEO Steve Schulte started with the company in 1970, just a year after its founding. Steve Schulte worked in various capacities before purchasing Jay Henges Enterprises from the original owner in 2008.
- In 1973 the company established a new corporate location. Both Porta-King and Henges Interiors would share a new 52,000 square foot facility located in Earth City. All Porta-King operations would remain in this location until 1990 when, to facilitate continued growth, the Porta-King manufacturing operation would be moved 60 miles west to a newly constructed facility in Montgomery City, MO.
- In 1974 we began production of modular wall systems and enclosures for use as an alternative to conventional construction inside manufacturing and warehouse facilities.
- In 1977 we introduced our patented Pivot-Lock wall system. This unique design utilized a pre-framed wall panel with a “pivot-lock” connection that dramatically reduced installation time.
- In 1987 we introduced an all-steel prefabricated exterior building we call Durasteel. This custom, all-steel, fully-welded design is composed of a structural tube steel framework with a 14-gauge painted steel exterior wall surface to create the most durable exterior prefabricated building in the industry. This launch included both a ballistic and non-ballistic rated construction option.
- In 1990 we opened our Montgomery City facility. This operation continues to serve as our primary manufacturing facility for our many different modular and prefabricated building systems. The original building was 60,000 square feet, but in 1997 an additional 40,000 square feet was added. In 2011 another separate 60,000 square foot building was added to provide a combined 160,000 sq.ft. of manufacturing space. Our corporate offices remain in Earth City along with the other divisions of Jay Henges Enterprises.
Product Innovations Over the Past Half Century Have Revolutionized Our Industry
As the times have changed, construction needs have changed, too. We’ve introduced several product innovations throughout our history, driven by customer demand for more modular and prefabricated solutions to fit an ever-growing list of construction applications. They include:
- Duraluminum, prefabricated buildings
- Pivot-Lock, pre-framed modular wall system
- Versa-King, modular wall systems
- Versa-King HD, modular tall wall system
- Durasteel & Durasteel PC, prefabricated buildings
- Durasteel ES, prefabricated equipment enclosures
- PK Structures mezzanines, observation towers, and video towers.
With a proven drive to create custom solutions for design problems in every industry, we’re sure to lead the way in product innovation for years to come.
Today, Porta-King has annual sales of over $30,000,000 with 140 employees in St. Louis and Montgomery City and in regional offices throughout the U.S.
As our business has grown, so has Steve’s family! The corporate management team now includes Steve’s sons, Mike and Chris Schulte. Mike is Director of Manufacturing Operations and Chris is our Prefabricated Product Manager and our GSA Administrator.
We’re proud to work with the greatest group of people this side of the Mississippi. Craig Buechter is Vice President of Engineering and Gregg Pearlstone is Vice President of Sales. The manufacturing management team in Montgomery City includes Plant Manager, Randy Larkin and Plant Manager – Modular Products, Cary Lane.
We hope you’ll come along as Porta-King forges ahead into the future. The prefabricated building landscape is bound to change, and we’ll be ready with cutting-edge innovation and a dedication to responsive customer service.